Monday, September 16, 2013

Beginnings of an Owl Nursery



Well, I have come out of blog hiding again! I am working on some really fun projects around my house right now, and thought there was no better time blog about it!

My 4 year old son and my new baby have been sharing a room for the last 9 months out 
of necessity.

 Here is a picture of her "nursery" located under my son's loft bed.



In the beginning, it worked great and I loved having them both close. But, as the baby grew and her sleeping habits changed, it turned into a headache. 

So we went back to the drawing board and thought about what we could do. I didn't want to move my bedroom downstairs because we would lose our built in closet desks. So, we decided to move my 4 year old downstairs and give the baby the room next to ours. I will blog later about Madison's big boy bedroom , I promise!

The first thing I had to do was paint the baby's room. I gave the beadboard a couple of fresh coats of white, and I painted the rest lavender. The theme for her room is a mix of different things. Owls are the main focus, because I love owls! I hate the pre-made owl nursery decor, so it has been up to me to make a lot of it. This is the first thing I made for her room and I have just kind of run with it!



So besides owls, I want her room to have a vintage, chic feel and I also want it to be eclectic and fun!  I love Pinterest and that is where I go when I need inspiration. Here is a link to Caitlin's room board on Pinterest.  It took me a while to find a starting point because there are so many cute things I would love to do. But I also have to be budget friendly. 

So here is where I am at right now


I made four tissue paper pom poms, and I plan to add some white lanterns and  colored honeycomb balls. The pennant banner is something I made out of vintage fabric from my stash. I also have plans to frame a letter "C" for that wall.


I had such hard time deciding what to do with this lamp. I originally planned to spray paint it pink, but decided the blue was pretty. The yo-yos and ric-rac are vintage from my craft stash, and I think it all came together great!


Here is the dresser, which sits across from the crib. The found the mirror at Wal-mart and it was only $25! I would have loved to find a vintage one, but I had to be frugal and I am impatient! I plan to surround the mirror with various prints and make a gallery wall. 


This bookcase is on the same wall as the dresser and it is already nice and organized. I got the baskets and bins from Wal-mart, Ross and the thrift store. I would like a nice chest or bin for under the hanging dresses for extra storage. I also want to find a way to display some of Caitlin's vintage dresses in a fun way. 

So, that's where I am now. There is still a lot to be done, but I am happy with the progress. My good friend Ashley gave me some super cute fabric for curtains and I still need a cute area rug. I will post more as I go, and maybe even a tutorial or two!

Until next time...




4 comments:

  1. You're so amazing, Erin! I love the pom-poms! You'll have to help me make my kids' room look cooler! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not much of a "craft" kinda guy.After reading your blog and looking at the pics you took i have to say that i am very impressed with all you have going on.Good for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all, Erin! You're so creative! I may have a thing or two to send to you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete